Pages

Thursday 19 June 2014

Fixing Damaged Hair

A few years ago this was me, I constantly wore my hair up as it was so thin and falling out. I was killing my hair with heat and wasn't eating enough or giving my body the nutrients it needed, but at the time I didn't put two and two together. Every time I brushed it or got in the shower lots would fall out and it was a very difficult time. I think hair is one of the first things you notice about a person so having lifeless, thin and difficult to work with hair can make you really self conscious.




The good thing is though, it can be improved and it's actually quite easy, just takes a few little changes!

What have I changed?


Firstly I stopped blow drying my hair completely, I try to give myself the time to do this every morning and soon you forget you ever used to blow-dry it. After washing and conditioning my hair I just pop it in a towel, then after a while brush it into place and let it dry. I also wash my hair less frequently, every couple of days instead of daily. This has been a massive help and blow drying dries hair out and really, it's just as good and less effort to keep away from the dryer!

I have also stopped straightening my hair, I know this isn't the same for everyone but my hair is naturally straight / wavy and it took me a long time to realise I didn't need to straighten the life out of it. I used to straighten it every morning, and got into the habit of believing I was unable to go out without it straight.  Now days, I only straighten the ends if it goes a little wild and gets hard to control, but most of the time I leave it be and let it do what it wants.

It's not just the heat that wrecks hair though, a balanced diet is key to healthy thicker hair, and I like to make sure I take a good multivitamin every morning as well (not sure how much this helps but it FEELS like it's doing me good, so I'll keep at it)



Product wise I tend to stick to TRESemme, currently I'm using these ones as I've recently lightened my hair slightly and these help retain the colour. I also go through stages of using a deep conditioning 'hair mask' and leave that in for about 10 minutes before washing it out. I've also heard coconut oil is a brilliant mask but am yet to try it personally! 




Hope this was in any way helpful and if you have any questions or want to chat, feel free! 

Sophie x



No comments:

Post a Comment